Dr. Shiv Kumar
Dr. Shiv Kumar received his BSc (Hons.) in Chemistry from Kirori Mal College, University of Delhi in 2008. He then moved to the Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, India where he completed his integrated doctorate degree under the supervision of Prof. Satish Patil. Here he extensively worked on fluorescent organic semiconductors for organic light-emitting diode (OLED) and nitroaromatic sensing applications. After obtaining his Integrated Ph.D. degree in 2016, he then joined as a project scientist under the supervision of Prof. Monica Katiyar at the National Centre for Flexible Electronics, IIT Kanpur, India. With a recommendation for SERB-National Postdoctoral Fellowship (N-PDF), he joined the Department of Chemical Engineering to work with Prof. Raju Kumar Gupta at the same institute. The primary focus of his work was the synthesis of new hole transport materials as an alternative to spiro-OMeTAD for perovskite solar cells and thermally activated delayed fluorescence (TADF) emitters for OLEDs. In 2017, Shiv secured the prestigious Marie-Sklødowska-Curie Individual Fellow (MCIF-Standard-Global) and moved to the University of St Andrews, UK to work with Prof. Eli Zysman-Colman in the School of Chemistry. While at St. Andrews, he was interested in the design and synthesis of bipolar host materials and through-space charge-transfer (TSCT-TADF) emitters for OLED and solid-state lighting (SSL) applications. In 2020, Shiv then moved to the Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium to work with Prof. Franck Meyer at the Faculty of Pharmacy. Here he was interested in the alignment of conjugated polymers into supramolecular self-assembly via non-covalent interactions (e.g., halogen bonding) to improve their charge transport properties and stability in optoelectronic devices such as OFET.
In August 2023, Shiv returned to India and joined as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Delhi. His current area of research focused on rational design, synthesis, and characterization of organic semiconductors to understand the underlying structure-property relationship and their potential applications in various optoelectronic devices. Website: https://sites.google.com/view/kosl
Selected peer-reviewed publications
- S Kumar, P Tourneur, J R Adsetts, M Y Wong, P Rajamalli, D Chen, R Lazzaroni, P Viville, D B Cordes, A M Z Slawin, Y Olivier, J Cornil, Z Ding and E Zysman-Colman “Photoluminescence and Electrochemiluminescence of Thermally Activated Delayed Fluorescence (TADF) Emitters Containing Diphenylphosphine Chalcogenide-Substituted Carbazole Donors” Journal of Material Chemistry C, 2022, 10, 4646-4667.
- S Kumar, L G Franca, K Stavrou, E Crovini, D B Cordes, A M Z Slawin, A P Monkman and E Zysman-Colman “Investigation of intramolecular through-space charge transfer states in donor acceptor charge transfer systems” Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 2021, 12 (11), 2820-2830.
- S Kumar, P Rajamalli, D B Cordes, A M Z Slawin, E Zysman‐Colman “Highly fluorescent emitters based on triphenylamine‐π‐triazine (D‐π‐A) system: effect of extended conjugation on singlet‐triplet energy gap” Asian Journal of Organic Chemistry 2020, 9 (9), 1277-1285.
- Z Zhang, S Kumar, S Bagnich, E Spuling, F Hundemer, M Nieger, Z Hassan, A Köhler, E Zysman-Colman, S Bräse “OBO-Fused Benzo [fg] tetracene as Acceptor with Potential for Thermally Activated Delayed Fluorescence Emitters” Frontiers in Chemistry 2020, 8, 563411.
- N Sharma, S Kumar, Y Chandrasekaran, S Patil, “Maleimide–Based Donor- π- Acceptor-π-Donor Derivative for Efficient Organic Light-Emitting Diodes” Organic Electronics 2016, 38, 180-185.
- S Kumar, P R Boregowda, S Patil, “Deep Blue Electroluminescent Device Based on Coumarin Derivative” ChemPlusChem 2016, 81(4), 384-390.
- S Kumar, D Kumar, Y Patil, S Patil, “Fluoranthene Derivatives as Blue Fluorescent Materials for Non-Doped Organic Light-Emitting Diodes” Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 2016, 4(1), 193-200.
- S Kumar, S Patil, “Fluoranthene-Based Molecules as Electron Transport and Blue Fluorescent Materials for Organic Light-Emitting Diodes” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2015, 119 (33), 19297–19304.
- N Venkatramaiah, S Kumar, S Patil, “Femtogram Detection of Explosive Nitroaromatics: Fluoranthene-Based Fluorescent Chemosensors” Chemistry – A European Journal, 2012, 18 (46), 14745-14751.
- N Venkatramaiah, S Kumar, Satish Patil, “Fluoranthene based fluorescent chemosensors for detection of explosive nitroaromatics” Chemical Communications, 2012, 48 (41), 5007-5009.